Page 0009

9

Keeping you safe is one of our main priorities.

We want to give you some information on Carbon

Monoxide (CO) and top tips on what to look

out for.

Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas produced by incomplete

burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and

coal. When breathed in it prevents the blood from bringing

oxygen to cells, tissues and organs. You can't see, taste or

smell it but it can cause some serious risks to your health or

potentially death - so it's really important to know what to

look out for.

Early symptoms of CO poisoning can be similar to those

of food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness.

However, symptoms will usually disappear when you leave

home, and others in your home may experience them at the

same time.

Gas cookers

If you have a gas cooker, you're responsible for having it

regularly serviced & maintained by a Gas Safe Registered

engineer. This is NOT carried out by us as part of your

tenancy agreement.

Carbon Monoxide alarms

You can purchase an audible

alarm which will alert you to

the presence of the poisonous

gas in your home. Make sure

it is marked to EN 50291 &

has the British Standards

Kitemark approved mark on

it. Read the instructions for

guidance on the correct place

for the alarm in your home.

Top tips

Allow our staff and our contractors access to

your home to carry out essential servicing &

maintenance of appliances

Never do a DIY installation or repair work on

any gas, oil, wood or coal burning appliances

Never block or cover any air vents into the

room containing a fuel burning appliance

Never attempt to remove a gas appliance

yourself, it can be very dangerous

Only burn fuels that are

suitable for the appliance

Avoid using portable gas

heaters in your home

Open the window when using your gas cooker

to keep air flowing through the kitchen

Keep Safe - Carbon monoxide information

Symptoms to look out for include:

• Headaches or dizziness

• Breathlessness

• Nausea

• Loss of consciousness

• Tiredness, drowsy

• Pains in the chest or stomach

• Erratic behaviour

• Visual problems

What to look out for on your appliances:

• Yellow or orange rather than blue flames on gas

appliances, especially cookers and fires

• Sooting or yellow/brown staining on or

around appliances

• Pilot lights that frequently blow out

• Increased condensation inside windows when

appliances are in use

If you suspect CO poisoning:

1. Get fresh air immediately, open windows and doors

2. Turn off any fuel burning appliance, if you can, and exit

the property into fresh air

3. Contact us on 01724 279900.

4. For gas appliances call the National Gas Emergency

Service on 0800 111 999

If you or your family believe you may have been

exposed to carbon monoxide you should seek

urgent medical advice from either your GP or

an Accident & Emergency department

Index

  1. Page 0001
  2. Page 0002
  3. Page 0003
  4. Page 0004
  5. Page 0005
  6. Page 0006
  7. Page 0007
  8. Page 0008
  9. Page 0009
  10. Page 0010
  11. Page 0011
  12. Page 0012
  13. Page 0013
  14. Page 0014
  15. Page 0015
  16. Page 0016
  17. Page 0017
  18. Page 0018
  19. Page 0019
  20. Page 0020
  21. Page 0021
  22. Page 0022
  23. Page 0023
  24. Page 0024

Related Issues

powered by PageTiger