Delivering WFD Objectives | 5
PROJECT 2 |
RIVER WEST ALLEN SEDIMENT ASSESSMENT
LOCATION: River West Allen, Northumberland
CLIENT: J N Bentley and Coal Authority
We investigated ways to reduce and control
contaminated sediment entering the River Allen in
Northumberland. The contaminated sediment originates
from old Lead and Zinc mines. 20% of the total load of
metals entering the Tyne Estuary every year originates
from within the River Allen catchment.
WHAT WE DID
• Fluvial geomorphological assessment to map key
• Hydraulic modelling to understand sediment transport
• Options development and Multi Criteria Analysis (MCA).
BENEFITS TO THE CLIENT
• Robust solutions to slow down and stop contaminated
sediment entering the river
• Promotion of green engineering solutions
• Use of our multi-disciplinary teams.
HOW WE CAN SUPPORT YOU
Being experts in river restoration design, geomorphic interpretation and hydraulic
modelling, we understand geomorphological processes in different fluvial
• Catchment baseline surveys provide the context required to ensure
regional integration and sustainability of proposed management options.
• Fluvial audits improve understanding of sediment budget and channel
stability on a reach-by-reach scale.
• Analysis of hydraulic and sediment dynamics quantifies the extent
of on-going or potential sediment problems.
• Catchment scale vision helps restore the functioning/structure of river
forms and processes that are characteristic of particular river types.
• Channel restoration design based on current best-practice methods
ensures designs are innovative and sustainable but practical.
• River rehabilitation is used to improve riverine habitat diversity and
• Options appraisals assess the potential impacts/assist in the design
of proposed floodplain or channel works.
• Post-project appraisal, including process and form monitoring, develops