Delivering WFD Objectives | 7
PROJECT 4 |
RIVER EDEN WEIR REMOVAL FEASIBILITY STUDY
LOCATION: River Eden, Cumbria
CLIENT: Eden Rivers Trust
We investigated the feasibility of several weir removals
within the Eden catchment in order to allow the free
movement of migratory fish and improve in channel
WHAT WE DID
• Fluvial Geomorphological Walkover of the study reach
• Hydraulic modelling to assess flood risk changes, and
changes to sediment erosion and deposition
• Development of post removal options.
BENEFITS TO THE CLIENT
• Multi-disciplinary team
• Technically robust solution.
HOW WE CAN SUPPORT YOU
• Hydraulic habitat assessment - qualitative assessment of the hydraulic
habitats that are present to form a baseline for WFD compliance.
• Fluvial Dynamic Audit - expert assessment of the present and likely
future dynamics of a water body linked to proposed interventions. This
in turn is linked to the need to demonstrate system stability in line with
the WFD requirements.
• Expert assessment of the impact of intervention on system hydromorphology
based on likely geomorphic change and natural river analogues.
• Quantitative 2D modelling of current and potential future hydraulic
habitats allowing comparison of the effects of intervention to be evaluated.
• Informed input to current restoration practice aligned with assisted
natural recovery principles.