Regrettably details from 1934 to the early post Second World War years are
sparse due to the Cricket Club Minute Books for the period being lost, however
it is certain that the Club continued its match programme throughout the period
with Mrs Mortlock continuing as Match Secretary until Mrs J.(Freddie) Hodgson
took over as both Ladies Captain and Match Secretary from about 1942 until
1952. The story has been told of the ladies being interrupted on several occasions
during the war by enemy bombers and having to take cover in the ditch - not
looking for lost balls!
During the early post war years the Club prospered with the return of all the
young men and women returning to the district from their war service.
1948/9 records show Mrs 'Freddie' Hodgson still as Ladies Captain and N.A.
Essex as Mens Captain, the latter also holding that position the following year.
The 1951 Mens Captain was G. Essex and in 1952 A. F. Page.
On April 1st 1955 the Brentwood County Ground Club was formed to act as an
'umbrella' club to the Cricket Club and Brentwood Hockey Club who had shared
the main playing area on a seasonal basis since the turn of the century. At the
same time the Tennis Section ceased as part of the Cricket Club and became
the third element of the BCGC becoming, once again, Brentwood Tennis Club.
The Club's secretary at this time was Mr Bruce Martin and from the minutes
that he took, it is clear that 1955 involved considerable effort in organising the
new basis. 'Certain liabilities' existed from the previous period and these were
shared 50/50 with the Cricket Club, 'which meant commencing our season with
quite considerable financial liabilities and no cash in the bank.' At the AGM on
Monday 10th October 1955 the Club had a deficit of £31.12s.5d. However, by the
next AGM (Monday 25th March 1957) this had been cleared and a profit of £4.
18s Od had been achieved in spite of placing a reserve of £30 for new surround
netting' - all this on a total income of approximately £300.
The 1955 Club Tournaments are recorded and show Geoff Essex as champion
in three events. Men's Singles, Mixed Doubles with his wife Noreen and Men's
Doubles with K. Parrish. In 1956 it was Miss J. Soutar who achieved the treble,
partnering A. W. Franklin in the Mixed and Miss Winnie Ketterer in the Ladies
In 1956 the County Ground Club first put forward proposals to build 'a new
pavilion at a cost of £5/6000' and mention is made of a new hard court being
provided. The Secretary's reports of 1955 to 1957 show how vulnerable to the
weather the Club was having only grass courts. 1955 was a superb summer, 1956
dreadful and 1957 first good then bad. In October 1958 pavilion construction was
agreed at an estimated cost of £5250. As regards the new court, Bruce Martin
advised that 'he himself would guarantee a loan of £400 to enable the hard
court to be laid down this winter... if the LTA was unable to make the loan'. Both
projects were completed for the 1959 summer season allowing the report on the
year to state 'The 1959 season was by far the most successful for the Club for
the past ten years, ....due to..(a) The finest and hottest summer for many years
(b) The building and opening of the New County Ground Pavilion (c) Increase in