An IHI Open School Basic Certificate of Completion will be awarded to participants who complete all mandatory modules listed below.
Information on the module to complete will be emailed each month. Please do not register on IHI Open School until instructions are received. It is important
that participants complete each module(s) prior to attending the session as each month's teaching is based around these.
Total Time to Complete Modules: 10 hours 30 minutes
Module Estimated time
Lessons After completing this course, you will be able to:
Day 1 PS203: PURSUING
ACCOUNTABILITY AND A JUST
Lesson 1: A Just Culture Case Study
Lesson 2: Building a Culture of Safety
Lesson 3: Understanding and Improving
1. Discuss your opinions on one hospital's response to a serious
2. Describe six domains of a culture of safety.
3. Explain how to use quantitative and qualitative data to assess
the culture of an organization.
Day 2 QI 102: HOW TO IMPROVE WITH
THE MODEL FOR IMPROVEMENT
Lesson 1: An Overview of the Model for
Lesson 2: Setting an Aim
Lesson 3: Choosing Measures
Lesson 4: Developing Changes
Lesson 5: Testing Changes
1. List the three questions you must ask to apply the Model for
2. Identify the key elements of an effective aim statement.
3. Identify three kinds of measures: process measures, outcome
measures, and balancing measures.
4. Use change concepts and critical thinking tools to come up
with good ideas for changes to test.
5. Test changes on a small scale using the Plan-Do-Study-Act
IHI OPEN SCHOOL MODULE OVERVIEW