Planned Early Discharge
SAFER Flow, Ward 2 South West Acute Hospital
Sr Andrea Regan, Mentored by Ursula McCollum
• To improve the Patients Journey
• To ensure planned, effective and
• To improve flow of patients
within the hospital
• To reduce unnecessary delays in
the Emergency Department.
• We have not met our aim yet
• Every test of change doesn't work even if
I think it will!!
• Multidisciplinary engagement is key to
Why did we do this?
Two patients will be discharged by 12
noon each day by 1 October 2019
from Ward 2 South West Acute
• Patients are discharged earlier in
• Improved team working and
communication in the ward and
with other wards and Trust staff
• Shift Lead facilitating flow of
patients and operational running of
• Improved flow within the hospital
• Increased staff knowledge in
What has it achieved?
S - Senior Review before midday
A - All - an Expected Discharge Date
(EDD) and Clinical Criteria for
F - Flow of patients to commence at
the earliest opportunity
E - Early discharge
R - Review by multi-disciplinary
team (MDT) S - Senior Review.
• Continue to test changes to build
on this work.
• Share our challenges and
learning with other wards.
• Promote collaborative working.
Mentored by Ursula McCollum